When a tooth sustains damage through decay, wear or trauma it needs to be restored. The objective is to re-establish the original morphology (shape and structure) of the tooth thereby restoring it to normal function and pleasing aesthetics.
There are several types of dental filling materials which can be used. Most commonly, a composite resin or a glass ionomer cement is used as they:
- Are aesthetically pleasing
- Have a high compressive strength
- Have a high tensile strength
- Are durable and long lasting
Metal or amalgam fillings are also available. Although less popular now, they still have plenty of advantages. These include:
- Moisture resistant
- Very high compressive and tensile strength
All our metal fillings are mercury-free.